When trekking in Remote area’s you should always be mindful of what items you may require to treat any aliments that may occur as if you are on the Kokoda trail or Kilimanjaro you will not be able to purchase any such items. Everest Base Camp treks (and Nepal lodge trekking in general) you can buy some supplies but these are mainly limited to the large Sherpa villages so it is best to carry the right things with you.
If you suffer from heyfever, sinus, reflux or any such medical condition you should bring medication to treat this, plan for the worst case scenario and be prepared.
Some items that are worth your consideration include but are not limited to;
- Anti-inflammatory tablets and gel (as prescribed by your doctor, remember voltaren and the like take up to 48 hours to relive symptoms so a fast acting tablet such as ibuprofen is great to start with)
- antibiotics for treating diarrhoea (as prescribed by your doctor)
- gastro stop
- antibacterial gel
- betadine liquid (Betadine can also treat your water for purification as a emergency back up if required)
- blister packs
- one roll of broad elasticated bandage
- roll of strapping tape
- anti sickness tablets
- painkillers such as Panadol Forte/Aspirin tablets/capsules
- Codral cold and flu tablets
- pawpaw cream along with one pack of a general use antibiotics.